Friday, May 15, 2009

Friends before Facebook

A friend from South Africa told me about Facebook quite sometime ago. It all started because I had not seen photos of her baby boy.

"Are you on Facebook?"

"Huh? What's Facebook?" I said.

Here we are almost two years later and Facebook has had a tremendous impact on my life. Last night was just another example of how powerful this internet phenomenon has changed my life. It has brought me back to the roots of friendships from my school days.

There are very few people who made in impact and left an impression on me when I was in school. Over the years I have wondered what happened to them and would like to reconnect with them. Facebook has allowed that to happen.

Leonard and I went to school from the 4th grade through to our high school years. I can't really put my finger on why he stayed in my mind all these years, but he was always there. Last night twenty-five years faded into nothingness as I had dinner with him, his beautiful wife and five of their seven kids.

I went to their house to grab some photos of their youngest daughter as she practiced her barrel racing.

Since Leonard and I have reconnect, both of us have found out things that neither of us knew when we were in school together. The joys of growing up and being able to openly talk about things. He didn't think I liked him in school and I didn't know some of the struggles he had. It was eye-opening to hear how we each viewed each other back then and found out how wrong our perceptions were.

So, we sat around the table and then out by the cars and talked about where this road of life has led us and funny enough, thanks to Facebook it brought us back down the same road and the great opportunity to resume friendships that would have otherwise been lost.






No comments: