Saturday, August 15, 2009

Final farewell

Today was a day of celebration. A celebration of Bill's life. It was evident that Bill, and Susan, have touched many lives when people were asked to stand if Bill impacted their life. Out of about 400 people, more than half of them stood.

It was therapeutic for me to work on the memorial video because I had pretty much worked through my emotions which allowed me to focus on my camera work.

There was one part of the service where I broke down.

Bill served in the Air Force and the color guard was there to honor his service to our country. Prior to the service I approached the three service men and had the honor of shaking their hand and thanking them for their service and that it meant a lot for them to be there to honor this amazing man. All three of them thanked me.

When the service began, two of the guard marched down to the front of the worship center and displayed the American flag. They displayed the unfolded flag as taps was played from the back of the worship center.

I was moved.

Even with this display of respect, I cannot help but think of the type of honor guard Bill had when he arrived home. Powerful!!!

Bill Jr. and Ginger, Bill's children spoke fondly of their father. He was such a wise man. An open mic was an invitation for people to share how Bill touched their lives. So many amazing and funny stories.

Over all, it was a celebration of Bill's life. There were tears. There were hugs. However, there was also laughter and joy. And I know that is how Bill would have wanted it.

He was a simple servant of his Lord Jesus Christ and he counted it an honor to represent Him to people he came in contact with it the same unconditional love as Christ shows each of us.

KH0809 0011 SusanSmiles
Smiling Susan. Isn't she stunning?!

KH0809 0029 BillJr
Bill Jr. Looks just like his Dad.

KH0809 0022 SusanHug
Lot's of hugs!

KH0809 0016 SusanHug

No comments: