Monday, August 10, 2009

More about Bill

As most of you know, I lost my job at the church way back in March. Because I moved so far away, I'm out of the loop on most of what is going on with people.

I had heard that Bill was in the hospital around Easter, but had heard that he had recovered and heard nothing more. That is until yesterday.

I still am the main camera operator for all four Sunday services at church and yesterday when I returned from lunch, Don was standing at the top of the stairs. He simply told me, "Bill passed away today around 12:30."

I had no idea who he was talking about. "Bill who?"

He had a puzzled look on his face mixed with a bit of horror as he realized that I didn't know about Bill being diagnosed with cancer.

It was not unusual for Bill and Susan to spend every weekend up in the high country during the summer months and that is where I thought they were weekend after weekend. I would look for them every weekend, and this weekend was no different. I scanned the hundreds of people looking for those two familiar faces and to hear their comforting southern drawl.

Don apologized to me. He thought I knew. I didn't. I was in shock. No tears, only questions. The flood gates would open about an hour later when the news started to sink in.

I worked mainly with Susan on a large video project for her ministry and I had a couple of shoots at their house. I enjoyed speaking to Bill. There have only been two men in my life where simply hearing the sound of their voice has an amazing calming effect on me and Bill was one of them.

I sat at my computer and wept. I didn't cry, I wept! Snot bubbles and all. I'm thankful that I did not have to be on camera for the entire evening service yesterday, only for worship. I sat on my camera perch with a box of tissues at my feet and wept during worship.

I didn't know what to do. I wanted to give Susan a big hug and just hold her, but I didn't want to intrude. I didn't get to do that with my friend, who's momma passed just a month ago and never really felt like I had closure with that loss.

I drove to Bill and Susan's house and was met by their son, Bill Jr.. He looks just like his Dad! It actually took me back to see him.

I was able to hug Susan and just hold her. We talked and she told me about the past four months and how amazing God had been during that time. The people at the hospital would come in and just sit with Bill because there was something calm and peaceful about him.

He touched peoples lives right up to his departure.

I don't know how I'm going to get through the service on Saturday. I have already committed to be on camera for Susan and record this memory for her, a celebration of Bill's life. I told her that when we spoke and she told me we would get through it together.

I found one more photo I had taken of Bill almost a year ago exactly. Once again, you see his contagious smile. If you didn't have an opportunity to know him, I'm sorry for you. For those of us who had the blessing to know him, our lives will never be the same. I will miss him, but celebrate that he is worshiping with Christ, his Lord and King.

Bill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for introducing us to Bill. He does have a beautiful smile. I imagine he was an approachable man who encouraged others. I imagine he will be greatly missed by all who knew him. You captured a lovely image Kimberly.

JB

Anonymous said...

Kim, thank you for your truly heartfelt sharing. Bill and Susan have always been the perfect pair and you're right, the southern drawl was a comfort and very welcoming. I have known for awhile that he would be going home but the separation is none the less painful. Our prayer is that God will surround all of Bill's family and loved ones during this time of loss. I can only imagine Bill volunteering to be a greeter at heaven's gate. The joy it will be to see him again. I will pray for you during this time as well and on Saturday. God bless.
Janice