Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The joys of taking photos of men.

I'm not one who is comfortable talking to people if I don't have a reason to. That is why I love my camera. My camera gives me so much more freedom in my communication and allows me to capture who that person is on 'film'.

Scott Bourne put it this way on one of his blogs, "It is my job as a photographer to make my subject look good, not the other way around."

I admit that I have a couple of muse's that I enjoy working with. I always thought that was a funny concept but now I find myself calling on the same people because I know I will be able to get something good, not only from them, but myself. It is a great "pick-me-up" if I am a bit discouraged.

"Hey, wanna go shoot?"

If I'm shooting an event, I usually find my camera naturally directing its way to one or two people. They become my muse for that shoot. I am aware that I have a tendency to do this and I try re-direct my camera, but sometimes it's just hard. There are simply some people who cannot have a bad photo taken of themselves.

Men. I enjoy taking photos of men. Handsome men. There is something that intrigues me about a man's face. That's a good thing since I am a woman, but when I look into the face of a man I ponder many things.

I ponder what it must be like to be called by God to be the head of a household. What weight they bear on their shoulders. How do they view the world? Why don't they cry at the old Hallmark commercials? How can a man sit and watch ESPN for hours on end? Oh, how the list goes on and on.

If you take photos of something to better understand it, then I will be taking photos of men for the rest of my life because I'm sure I will never fully understand the majesty that lies within them. Though, it sure is fun trying to discover it.

No comments: