Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Unknown Final Farewell.

I'm going through all my images and files on my work computer, trying to put some order to it so Bradley can find things when he needs them. Today I have been processing all the Tanzania images from my three trips. Cataloging them and doing some photoshop work to make them look their best. I was doing fine until I ran across this image.
















I know it's not the best image, but it holds special meaning to me. One of the saddest parts of me losing my job is losing the opportunity to return to Tanzania to record the SBC projects. I have made some dear friends and the thought of never seeing them this side of Heaven is harder to take than the loss of income.

This image is of Len Gai (middle), his brother and mother walking away. I snapped this image on one of my last days in Mairowa. If I had known that this was going to be the last image I captured of this little boy who holds a very special place in my heart I would have run after him and given him one more big American style bear hug and held it a bit longer than usual.

Whenever I would arrive in Mairowa, Len Gai would always ferret me out. What makes him so special? Other than his quiet spirit and gentle heart who melted into this big body of mine when I hugged him, he has an added challenge to his life, he is legally blind.

My boss and his small group sponsor Len Gai and I sponsored him by default. I was the small groups representative and would always deliver things to both side.

I recently found out that Len Gai is now going to school for a the blind and I look forward to hearing amazing things from this young man, but I will miss standing in the grassy area of the school only to turn around to see his shy smile greet me. He will always have a special place in my heart.


No comments: