Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Modern Day Cool!!










A couple of days ago I posted about a cool little software program where you could change today's modern digital images into the good ole' Polaroid looking photo.

This goes hand in hand with that post. I'm so excited. I want one of these little gadgets to take with me on my travels to Africa.

Small portable printers have been available for years. The problem I have always seen with those is how stinkin' expensive the ink was. I'd have to haul the ink with the machine, hope that I brought enough and deal with lugging all of the supplies around. So, I have never decided to get one.

Polaroid has come up with a modern day solution to their camera of the 60's, 70's and 80's. It's called Polaroid Pogo and it is a printer where the paper provides you with everything you need. The images are small, but when you are dealing with children who have probably never had a photo of themselves, I can deal with that. The printer itself is about the size of a point and shoot camera.

Just like the old cameras, when you load the pack of paper in the printer it spits out a dud. Gosh, this is bringing back so many memories.

Once you take the photo, it doubles as a sticker. Not sure how useful that will in Africa, but I'm sure the kids will get a kick out if for a bit. The photos themselves have a "100-year" guarantee that the ink won't smear or fade. Now how they tested this I have no idea, but hey, if it will withstand little ones hands in the rough conditions these kids live in, I'll support it. It is also supposed to be able to survive a swim in water. The photo, not the printer.



I did some research online and Best Buys has them on sale right now for $99. That packs of paper come in 10 and 30 pictures and range from $4.99 to $12.99 respectively. Expensive when you consider you can get full size 4X6 prints for about $ .12, but such a deal when you are in the bush in Africa and no Target nearby.

I'm trying so hard to not buy one right now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE - 6:47pm

I failed. I just could not wait. I went and bought one. Best Buy's price was actually $94. And I found the 30 packs of paper at Walmart for $10.49. What a bargain. So, I'm playing with it tonight.

As I've said, I have been sick. I have had bronchitis since the end of September and just when I was almost over that I got step throat. I have been on the mend and I was out of my house for 2-hours today and I am exhausted!!! I think I will be celebrating Thanksgiving with my kitties.

2 comments:

familygregg said...

That is awesome. I think I want to go to Africa w/ you one day.

also,

like the new blog design.

Also, you feeling better? Bradley gave me all your messages/STAY AWAY'S last nite.

Kimberly said...

I really like how the blog turned out.

I updated the blog from when you read it. I thought I was doing better, but I went out and just HAD to get that printer. Two-hours and I am exhausted. I'm going to stay home tomorrow. So this was a good test run for me.

Thank you for your offer yesterday. It actually turned out for the best. I was up till 5AM. Every time I started to fall asleep I would go into a coughing fit. So, it was a rough night.

I think the three of us need to work on our "receiving" issues. :-)