Tuesday, November 11, 2008

One is too many

How can it be that one little email can bring back so many memories?

First a bit of background:

August 1998 was my first missions trip. I went to Russia to serve in an orphanage my church in Colorado Springs sponsored through an organization called Children's HopeChest. I returned two more times over the next year and spent a total of about 2 1/2 months there.

I received an email from a friend of mine in Colorado Springs this morning. Patti and her husband, Bruce, adopted two of the children from the orphanage. I know many more families who adopted children once they made the trip over there and the children found a place in their heart.

Patti forwarded a story to me that brought a smile to my face amidst the tears. Here's the story:

When you think of two roads, the Robert Frost poem may come to mind with the thought that taking the road less traveled makes all the difference. The same can be said in the case of the “orphan road.”

Just recently, Katya Celenina, CHC’s National Director in Russia, told the story of two girls. Unfortunately, it’s a familiar one.

Lida and Sasha were graduates of the same orphanage in Russia.

When they left the safety of the orphanage for life out in the world, they were offered the same opportunities from Children’s HopeChest, but each chose a different path.

Sasha (on the left) chose to accept a placement at a Children’s HopeChest Family Center. These small group homes are staffed 24/7 by CHC-trained foster parents. This model is effective because it grabs kids at their point of crisis, and helps them take deliberate steps toward adulthood.

At the Family Center, Sasha received love and encouragement. She finished her degree. Today, she works as a teacher in Russia. She’s a successful and happily married young woman. A success story on every level.

Lida (on the right) chose to go her own route. In time, she found herself trapped in a web of bad relationships and decisions with no support. Lida became a prostitute, working the long stretch of road between Moscow and Vladimir. She was found alongside it one morning, the road that ended her short life.

This is another reminder of how the work we all do on behalf of orphans is beyond “good deeds.” It is, in fact, life and death. When it comes to the Lida’s and Sasha’s of Russia, the prayer and support of our partners makes all the difference.

The road Lida was found on is a desolate stretch. I have images in my mind about how she was earning money to survive, the men that used her and threw her away as well as the society that did the same. I also have images that are out of a horror movie. I have heard of people being found along this road. No one stops to render aid. They keep driving. And even more horrific that I won't go into.

Lida has a brother, Sasha. They were the only family they had and now Sasha is alone. They both heard the Gospel. I was there, I took part. I really hope that she is in the loving arms of Christ right now.

No comments: