Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Aperture Nature Photography Workshop

The third of four contests for the Aperture Nature Photography Workshop is now open for entries. Find out more about the contest or enter your image by clicking HERE.

I was one of four winners in the second contest with my lightning photo taken this past August when I was returning from a camp where I was the photographer.

Let me tell you a bit of my experience with this contest.

First, if you want to enter, I cannot impress upon you enough to enter. If you don't have an image you think is up to par, go out and shoot one and enter it. It is worth it!!!

I had entered perhaps three other photo contests prior to submitting my photo to the ANPW and didn't have any success. That didn't stop me. You really can't beat entering one of your best images in a contest where the is no entry fee. And the prizes??? Come on!!! They are amazing.

  • An expenses paid trip to learn from four pro's in a national park.
  • A Lensbaby
  • A "ThinkTank 360" camera bag
  • A years subscription to Lynda.com
  • A collection of books from PeachPit press.
  • A DROBO
  • Apple Aperture software
  • Lifetime membership to Photrade

I just returned from four information packed days with Scott Bourne, Steve Simon, Jenifer Wu and Gary Hamburg. The best part was the one-on-one time with the pro's when we were out shooting. I learned so much! They were there to answer any questions we had and to point us in the right direction.

I have to admit, I was a bit frighted when it came to having my images critiqued at the end of the workshop but I knew this was the best way for me to learn how to improve. I purposely did not choose the images I thought were my better ones, but I "bit the bullet" and selected the ones I knew didn't quite work. It helped a lot.

As you can tell from most of my images on my blog, I am not a nature photographer. I prefer to capture images of people. Now I have the confidence to shoot nature in a way I would have never thought possible.

Again, if you are thinking of entering one of you images in the contest - DO IT!!! You have nothing to lose and just might be on the next trip to Yellowstone to learn things from amazing pro's. I guarantee, it might just change your life. I know it has changed mine!!

No comments: