Thursday, January 22, 2009

Watoto Children's Choir

Watoto means “the children,” and these children are on a mission. Through their inspirational songs and compelling stories, the Watoto Children’s Choir is spreading a message of hope for Africa’s children.

In 1994, Gary and Marilyn Skinner were moved with compassion concerning the critical orphan crisis in Uganda. As a result, Watoto Child Care Ministries was established as an outreach of Kampala Pentecostal Church. Today, Watoto is caring for over 1500 parentless children by providing physical, emotional, educational and spiritual care.

The goal of Watoto is to raise the next generation of Ugandan leaders by pursuing excellence in academic and practical skills, integrity in conduct and moral values, so that each child becomes a responsible and productive citizen.

The choir’s music and multimedia presentation is a soulful fusion of gospel and contemporary African style. Dressed in colorful costume, the children’s enthusiastic song and energetic dance has moved audiences world-wide.

Okay, that was the "formal" information on this amazing children's choir. Let me tell you a bit about my experience tonight.

If you have met me in person, you know I have a HUGE heart for the entire continent of Africa. I lived in South Africa for about 3 1/2 years and have spent time in Tanzania and Liberia. These experiences have cemented that love for this beautiful place and her peoples.

With that said, I sat through the entire concert with tears in my eyes and a huge smile on my face. Yes, I'm a weepy person when it comes to things that are strongly on my heart. Africa has been on my heart since I was about 12 or 13 years old and that love has only grown deeper over the years. And how could I not smile at these gorgeous children?

My heart is in Africa, yet my body is here in Arizona. There is a separation between that two that literally hurts me at times. I long to capture the beautiful faces of that far away place and show people that we are not that different.

Look into these faces and you cannot help but see how we are one.






















No comments: