Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fantastic start to this trip!

Okay, I have to admit, I have not been excited about this trip to Yosemite. That is, until this morning!!

It's not that I was not looking forward to it. I am a perfectionist and add a lot of unnecessary stress to my life. I want to do my best. I want to learn everything I can from Scott Bourne and the other professional photographers. I want to learn from the other contest winners. I want, I want, I want....

I woke up at 4:30, bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to get there. I hate the process of traveling, but love the arrivals. It is only when I finally make it onto the flight, with all my STUFF, do I finally start to relax.

I didn't know if I was going to be bumped up to first class since I was 5,000 miles short of making the "elite" status in 2008 but was pleasantly surprised when I boarded, they gave me a second row seat. SWWEEEEETTTT!!!!

I had a window facing the west and let me tell you, the view I had was amazing the entire way to Salt Lake City, the first leg of my trip.

As we flew over the Grand Canyon, the sun was just starting to rise. The majority of the canyon was still in shadows, but as the sun floated higher, splashes of light hit random cliffs. The sun was brilliant and caused the cliff tops to appear as if they were white caps in the ocean waves. It has been a long time since I have seen something so beautiful. And I was not lost on the fact that I am going up to learn how to capture images like this.

I was listening to Christian artist, Chris Tomlin, on the flight and although I could not sing at the top of my lungs like I did at the David Crowder Band a couple of nights ago, my heart was bursting as I quietly sang along about the wonders and majesty of God and His creation. That was exactly what I was seeing before me, the wonders of His creation.

The worship continued right up till just prior to landing. We flew over snow covered mountains that were so close that they almost filled the windows. How can people say there is no God?

To top it off, just as we were taxing down the runway in Phoenix, my sis-n-law called. I had to turn my phone off and let it roll over to voice mail. I'm so happy I did.

When I arrived in SLC, I listed to the message. I was expecting to hear Teri's voice but did not. As the voice began to speak, I could not help the explosion of a smile that overtook my face.

Alex, my youngest niece wished me happy, fun time in Yosemite. When she finished, everyone in the car gave a big hoot and holler. I can't tell you how much more that one little phone call lifted my heart. I saved the message just so I can listen to it again and have that same corny smile find its way back to my face.

If this is how this trip is getting started, what in the world does He have in store for me? How will I be able to capture the magnificence of God and represent His Son, Jesus Christ, in a way that will be honoring??

I wait in anticipation and a willing heart!!! It is not what I want, it is what He has for me as a very special gift. How can I not be excited???

3 comments:

familygregg said...

I'm so thrilled for you. Can't wait to hear everything and see and your images of His majesty. Relax! Have fun!

Seven's Heaven said...

What an inspiring post! I felt like I was going with you. I'm excited for you just hearing you talk about it and praise God for this opportunity too! Blessings. Susan T

Kimberly said...

Thanks Dawn and Susan.

Susan, the amazing thing is that I feel like I could not capture all that I was feeling that day. What I wrote was quite literally the tip of the ice berg. The Lord is doing great and mighty things in my life and I am waiting in anticipation to see what He has in store for me.