Friday, January 16, 2009

Last night together as a group.

Today has been a day full of shooting which was also made up of good company, conversation and learning.

This is our last day night together as a "team" and we closed out by having a night of critique.

Scott told us over dinner that we could bring five images to be critiqued and it was up to us as to how we wanted it to be served up: mild, medium and hot salsa! And guess what I wanted.

We had half an hour to select our five images. And we weren't supposed to select our strong images. They were to be the ones we thought were the weakest and where we could learn the most from.

It was not hard for me. I had quite a few images where I tried something and the execution just did not work.

Scott and the other professionals were brutal. They held nothing back. And I'm glad they didn't. It encouraged me. There were three of the five that were salvageable through a tighter crop. I was quite happy with that.

Me, Nikki and Scott were standing around after the session and he greatly encouraged us. I have to tell you, this man may put on a hard outer shell, but he has such a heart of gold!!! He is a great encourager. He wants to challenge people to bring out the best in them. What an honor this experience has been.

Nikki and I found out even more information about the contest and really how good our photos were to have been selected. Apple had to approve all the images. They had their photo professionals give the final approval for all four of our images.

I feel a bit like Sally Fields when she won her academy award: "You like me." :-)

Tomorrow morning the winners are going to be interviewed and we will take a group photo. After that, Steve and I are going to do a bit of shooting as we go through the park on the way to the airport. And that will be the end of this amazing time with such a talented group of people.

There is the next step of editing our photos down and sending them in to be submitted in the book the Peach Pit Press is going to be creating out of the four contests. There is no guarantee that any of our images are going to be selected to be included in the book, but I know at least one of mine will be.

There are two more contests to be run, eight more people to have this amazing experience and more wonderful images to be captured.

Yosemite HDR_0447SMWEB

Yosemite HDR_0500CSMWEB

Yosemite HDR_0469SMWEB

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two more contests ey?? Where do I sign up?
There are some really nice photos in your blog!!!!

Sir W. said...

Absolutely gorgeous pictures. I can see that this trip has been a blessing and a great learning experience. I am continuing to pray for safety for you and your group. Look forward to the next post.

- Christopher

A Touch Creative said...

Kimberly, these shots are amazing! I know that we are mere mortals when we see images like these, but what a great opportunity to hear from other experts in the field that you are talented yet you still want/need to learn. God will truly bless your open heart. Keep soaking it in.

Anonymous said...

Little Yosemite and the beautiful Vernal Falls rainbow! It's better live, isn't it K? So, now the big Q.. RU gonna climb the back side of Half Dome? Dum! da da dummmm!

Anonymous said...

Kimberly,
I love the rainbow. BEAUTIFUL!!
Joyce

Shelley said...

Stunning. You have an incredible gift, Kimberly. Thank you for sharing.

Shelley C.

Kimberly said...

Matthew, you need to be a resident of the US to enter the contests. Sorry.

Kimberly said...

Thanks for all your encouragement ladies. It means a lot to me.