Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Teacher / Student

Next week I head off to Yosemite to soak in all I can from professional photographers. I'm very excited about this opportunity to have one on one instruction from people who are tops in their field.

But at the same time, I have also taken a budding photographer under my wings and have tried to share with her some of my limited knowledge. I enjoy teaching as much as I do learning. I strongly feel it is all about giving back.

In the grand scheme of things, I know NOTHING of photography. BUT, I know more that this young woman who wants to learn more. So, we chat on Tuesday nights when she comes for choir rehearsal.

Tonight she brought her camera and I gave her another challenge. I want her to learn to look all around her. Not only at her eye level.

There are times when I have found myself literally lying on the ground to get the angle that I want. I did this in Moscow when I was touring Red Square. I wanted a better shot of St. Basil's Cathedral. Not only did I get down on the ground, but it was the middle of winter. It was FREEZING!!

I wanted her to shoot around the stage at different angles, capturing various images. I went and grabbed my camera and grabbed my shots while she went back to rehearsal. Here are some of my shots.

Practice_8536
Shot through a roll of tape.

Practice_8539

Practice_8547

Practice_8564

Practice_8528

Now, I know, they are winning not shots. Some are better than others, but I want her to expand her line of sight. I can't wait to see what she comes up with.

As my Aussie friends say, "Good onya mate!"

No comments: