Thursday, September 18, 2008

Bat's in my belfry!!

A reflection Monday out in Mairowa. Written Tuesday morning:

Yesterday was one of the most amazing days I have ever had here in Africa. So many memories will stay with me forever.

It actually started earlier in the day when Elisha and I were in town to interview Jacob. You have seen a photo of him on my blog. He is the blind, older man who we are building a house for. In all the times I have seen Jacob, he has been wearing a ratty, old, rust colored baseball cap that really only kept the sun from his eyes, but not his head, as there were so many holes in the cap part of it it was a miracle that it even stayed on his head.

After finishing the interview I wanted to take a photo of him and his son, Joseph, in front of the unfinished house. That hat was casting too much of a shadow on his face and I asked if he would be willing to remove it for me. He was happy to oblige. He removed it and reached his arm out for Elisha to hold it for him.

In addition to holding Jacob’s hat, Elisha held the flash for me as I snapped away until I captured an image I was happy with. When I did, He and I approached Jacob. As we did, Elisha removed the white baseball cap he had been wearing and placed it on Jacobs head.

I was almost brought to tears at this generous deed. Elisha held back the tattered remains of a cap Jacob has worn for years as Joseph led his father back to their dilapidated accommodations, a new white cap glittering in the afternoon sun.

After the team had already left to return to Arusha, Elisha, Laveena, Anna, Onesemo, Zakayo and myself waited for people to come to the “picta” show. I had a strong feeling that no one would show up. I was wrong. The people, whom the Lord wanted here, came. Although they totaled ten in all, that was enough to bring a smile to my face.

Lengai came again to see me. His older brother walked him the 15-miles from their home to visit. He has grabbed such a special place in my heart! I brought him into the office and gave him and his brother a ginger snap and some chips (French fries) from the box lunch. We could not communicate without a translator so we mainly sat there in silence. I gently rubbed the back of his neck, which tickled him as he squirmed with a smile on his face. I know he had never had his neck rubbed before. Another first.

I walked out to watch, as Elisha made sure the generator was working when Lengai and his brother walked out. We said our farewells and they started the walk back home.

It was about 15-minutes later when they returned with their mother. She is also a very special woman and I hold her dear to my heart: She was all smiles. We greeted each other and she asked about Don and Susan, Lengai’s sponsors and my boss.

They said they wanted to stay for the slideshow. I knew that even though everyone was pleased that Lengai is now able to see after having eye surgery a couple of years ago, he is still legally blind and would not be able to see the pictures if they were projected on a wall 15-feet away from him.

I brought them into the office and set up my computer so he could sit 12-inches away. The three of them took a seat and the show began.

Lengai would reach out his hand and “pet” the computer screen. He could recognize some of the faces because he called out names. Now, I’m not sure if they were the correct names of the faces staring back at him, but his mother and brother never corrected him.

I would pause the show when his face graced the screen. He would once again reach up and “pet” the screen. I will treasure those images in my heart forever.

I had two showings of the slideshow that night. Later three children came for the event. That was all that showed up.

As we waited to see if anyone else would appear, the children rejoiced because they could go play on the playground.

Zakayo and I had found something else to do together.

There is a colony of bats that have taken up residence in the office roof and every night when twilight comes they pour out of a small hole. There are not a lot of them, perhaps 150 but I wanted to see if I could capture their nightly departure in an image. I did some test shots and as always Zakayo was standing close by.
.
He pulled up a bucket, turned it upside-down and plopped down to take part in the vigil. About 15-minutes later, he rose and walked into the office only to emerge with a chair. He placed it down and motioned me to sit. Such a kind man.

For about the next 40-minutes the two of us sat, in silence, as we waited for the bats to make their exit. Occasionally exchanging a smile as the queaks and sqeels from the hole grew louder. Another memory I will treasure forever. The simplicity of it all really struck a cord with me.

I found out earlier in the day a bit of his testimony. He has only been a believer for a year. When I asked him how he came into a relationship with Christ he told me of having a sickness. It was only after Elisha spoke to him a bit more that the type of sickness came to light.

He was a drunkard and the Lord healed him of that. No 12-step program, no support group, the Lord simply took that desire away from him completely.

And last night, wow, what a time we had. Laveena, Anna, Elisha and I had the most wonderful time of fellowship together. We laughed, talked, tried to solve the problems of Tanzania and Africa and prayed together. All of this took place in Laveena and Anna’s one room residence.

I say residence because they live at the guesthouse where I am staying. They are lonely and very isolated out here in Mairowa. They are not Masai and are considered outsiders. Once again the two of them thanked me over and over for coming to stay with them.

There is no electricity. They do their evening cooking over charcoal and with a kerosene lantern, like those from the old west. So the evening’s conversation was in a dimly lit room, but was filled with the light of friendship. It has been a very long time since I have felt so loved and welcomed in a place. Free to discuss, to tease, to laugh and just be myself. This was another moment I will treasure in my heart forever.

I am finishing this entry as I sit in the passenger side seat of the LandCruiser I hired, typing on my computer that is being charged by a generator, as it hums not far from the vehicle. An occurrence that I could have only dreamed of when I was a child, something I longed for all my life.

If you remember the movie “The Color Purple”, there is a scene where the main character envisions her sister in Africa as she reads the stack of letters her husband hid from her over the years. That is what I feel like now. In awe and wonder of how the Lord has given me the desires of my heart.

Pastor Jamie and Fred come tomorrow. I am looking forward to Jamie seeing Africa and all that is going on here. I know he will catch the vision and things will really explode wide open.

No comments: