Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A quick update

I am writing from the Kondoa Integrity School office. The internet if EXTREMELY slow, but at least I can check my email and update you on the progress here at the school.

First, thank you so much for your prayer. The ride out here was a little over 6-hours. About five of those hours were on a very bumpy dirt road. Being here in Africa always takes me back to my childhood when my family and I would go 4-wheeling. Needless to say, the ride here was difficult for me. My back was not a happy camper at all the bumping. I started out riding in the back seat, but Julia, from Imara, was gracious enough to allow me up in the front. This allowed me to brace myself a bit better.

It was only when we arrived in Kondoa and I had my first day of taking photos here that I realized why the left side of my lower back was upset with me. I had spent an entire day out in Mairowa taking photos of the little ones there. I was bent over to the right most of that day.

It doesn't seem to be as bad here. I think my back got stretched out and the muscles pulled so all the bending over here is not such a shock to my system.

Yesterday, Tuesday, I took 95 or the 130 photos needed. I have been able to log all the photos and verify that I don't need to re-shoot any of them.

In our off time, at the end of the day, some of the women have wanted to go fabric shopping. I'm not so much into that, but I tag along for the photo ops. I have gotten some wonderful photos and I will upload them when I return to Arusha tomorrow (Thursday).

The medical screening here in Kondoa is going well too. The children are very healthy with no real medical concerns. There is one praise. We had one little girl who had a heart condition. During the last physical, she could not walk more than 10 paces without being out of breath. That is no longer the case. It is possible that if she had a hole in her heart or another problem, that she grew out of it.

I will write more when I return to Arusha with a bit more of the stories from Kondoa.

Thank you again for your prayers. They are very much appreciated. I would ask that you pray for our safety as were travel back to Arusha tomorrow.