Thursday, September 18, 2008

Chicken run...

I'm sitting in the "snack bar" at the Ilburo Safari Lodge waiting for the ride to the airport with team. I'm working on the sponsored children's photos while two women sit and chat. One is from the UK and the other from Ireland.

They ordered their meal and sat down. The gal from Ireland kept coughing so I gave her a lemon drop to help her throat while they waited.

She thanked me and her companion asked me if this wait time was normal for the food to come.

I said yes and returned to my work.

Her question reminded me of something that happened on the drive back from Mairowa yesterday.

Elisha and I stopped in Longido for a lunch of rice and beans. When we pulled up to the little restaurant we have become frequent diners at, we saw Isack and Moses, two IMARA ministry people we work with were waiting outside for a delivery from Arusha, about an hour away.

Elisha and I joined the two of them at a table outside and we began to chat.

While we chatted we started to see two men start chasing a rooster. One of the men had a white apron on so I knew that he was the cook for a restaraunt next door.

It was the funniest site. The two of them chased that rooster around for about 40-minutes before the enlisted the help of a young boy. He continued the chase for about another 20-minutes.

I made a comment to the chef that perhaps he should not chase the food with the apron on. We all laughed.

The four of us became involved in the conversation when suddenly the two men and a women appear from a nearby shed. The chef held the limp body of the rooster was swinging by the neck. The rooster had lost the battle.

Another, much larger, rooster began to squawk quit loudly. Almost as if to scream in victory that he was not the one in the pot.

There were only two people in the restaraunt where the chef came from. I have no idea how much longer they had to wait for their meal but you can bet it was as fresh as fresh could be.

Now, next time you have to wait for a meal, just remember, people in other countries wait a lot longer!

1 comment: